New HeadCoach

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New HeadCoach

Post by reejeen on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:42 am

Nabasa ko sa isang article. Tinanong si Coach Boyzie kung pwede ba siyang maging Head Coach ng RW ang sagot lang niya depende daw sa UE kung kukunin ba talaga siya. Hahanapin ko lang ulit yung article na yun.

reejeen

Back to top Go down

Post by red_engr on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:13 pm

who will be the next UE Red Warriors Head Coach at the end of UAAP Season 76? It looks like that Coach B. Zamar is headed to SMC Group

red_engr

Back to top Go down

Post by icemint on Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:40 pm

What now Coach Boyzie?

Hope you won't leave the team next season.

icemint
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost09 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:54 pm

kung di na pde si coach boyzie , maybe we should look into leo austria or louie alas . wla akong maisip na alumni na coach haha

ghost09

Back to top Go down

Post by paulodagul on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:49 pm

what about coach bong ramos? D b siya consultant ng team?

paulodagul

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymous_Red on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:16 pm

louie alas would be go0d. Bong ram0s i think wouldnt be available he's the "head coach" of Barako Bull

Anonymous_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by ue_25 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Anonymous_Red wrote:louie alas would be go0d. Bong ram0s i think wouldnt be available he's the "head coach" of Barako Bull

@ Anonymous_Red : bro merong connection kay MVP yan.. kaya nga dba ndi nagchampion letran last year.. c kevin alas player ng smart gilas pati..Sad

ue_25

Back to top Go down

Post by paulodagul on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:38 pm

may sabit pala si louie alas. Kung si bong ramos hnd tlaga siya nagmamando sa barako bull. Si Rajko toroman pa rin ang sinusunod ng team.

paulodagul

Back to top Go down

Post by red_engr on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:28 am

Road clear for Chua return as Zamar admits he declined offer to coach Ginebra

October 9, 2013, 08:28 pm

Share it!

Road clear for Chua return as Zamar admits he declined offer to coach Ginebra
“Yes, (Ginebra job) was offered to me on a silver platter, pero I have to protect my integrity and be honest with myself,” says Boycie Zamar said. “Ayaw ko namang talikuran yung kontrata ko sa UE. Saka let’s put it this way - I still have to learn the ropes." Jerome Ascano

BOYCIE Zamar confirmed on Wednesday that he has turned down an offer to coach Barangay Ginebra, clearing the way for the return of Alfrancis Chua or the retention of Ato Agustin despite a dismal first season as coach of the PBA's most popular ballclub.

Zamar, head coach of University of the East and an assistant to Agustin at Ginebra, told Spin.ph he has talked to San Miguel Corp. big boss Ramon S. Ang, Ginebra governor Robert Non, and team manager Chua three weeks ago informing them of his decision not to accept the offer.

Reportedly the personal choice of Ang to coach Ginebra, Zamar said he has decided to honor his contract with UE for next season but was also honest enough to admit that he feels he is not ready for such a high-profile coaching job.

“Yes, it was offered to me on a silver platter, pero I have to protect my integrity and be honest with myself,” Zamar said. “Ayaw ko namang talikuran yung kontrata ko sa UE. Saka let’s put it this way - I still have to learn the ropes."

As early as July when Chua resigned over differences with former SMC sports director Noli Eala, Spin.ph has already reported that officials have already informed the team that Zamar had been picked to coach Ginebra next season while Agustin took over in an interim basis.

[For full story, see Zamar next in line for Ginebra job]

However, Zamar said he has decided to complete his "unfinished business" with the Warriors, who fell short of reaching the Final Four this season.

“Hindi naman sa hindi ko kinuha pero sinabi ko lang kila boss RSA (Ang), Boss Robert (Non) and Coach Al (Chua) na may obligasyon pa ako sa UE,” said Zamar. “May responsibilidad pa ako sa UE at gusto ko pang matuto.”

Zamar said Ang gave him a pat on the back after the talk.

“Natuwa siya kasi honest daw ko. Kung iba daw yun, susunggaban agad yung trabaho,” said the 47-year old Illonggo, who will now be reuinited with his son, Paul, at the UE-Cebuana Lhuillier team in the PBA D-League Foundation Cup starting on October 24.
“Ang sa akin naman, hindi ako pwedeng tumanggap ng tumanggap ng trabaho … kung may obligasyon pa ako sa isa,” he said with a smile.

Asked if he is not afraid to pass up on a golden opportunity to coach the most popular team in the country, Zamar gave an honest response.

“Sa akin, kung darating ulit 'yun, darating 'yun. Focus na lang muna ako sa unfinished business ko sa UE and hopefully make myself better,” he added.

Zamar's decision now clears the way for the return of Chua, who was convinced to move up to the team manager's position after he resigned as coach at the end of the Philippine Cup.

There has been a strong clamor among diehard fans for Chua's return, more so after the Gin Kings tumbled out at the quarterfinal stage of the Governors Cup in Agustin's first conference as coach.

However, it was Agustin who has been running the team since Ginebra returned to practice early this week.

“Ato has been running the team pa since nung nagbalik ensayo sila,” said Non. “Wala namang changes.”

Follow the writer on Twitter: @snowbadua

red_engr

Back to top Go down

Post by syadaker on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:54 pm

Sino gusto nyo maging coach natin?

syadaker

Back to top Go down

Post by icemint on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:04 am

Jawo!!!!

icemint
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waddaphak on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:18 am

Mukhang mataas maningil yan si Jawo pero ayos kung sya ang mag-coach

waddaphak

Back to top Go down

Post by meteorcatcher on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:08 pm

Joworski for the win!

meteorcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by icemint on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:28 pm

7 - 4 - 77?!!!

icemint
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by red_engr on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:23 pm

Pumaren brothers, Alas on wishlist as UE begins search for new coach to replace Zamar

March 28, 2014, 05:41 pm

Share it!

Pumaren brothers, Alas on wishlist as UE begins search for new coach to replace Zamar
A veteran coach who has won championships in the PBA and the old PBL, Derrick Pumaren was a consultant when younger brother Dindo called the shots for UE from 2003 to 2008. On the other hand, Louie Alas led Letran to a couple of championships in the NCAA. Jerome Ascano

BROTHERS Derrick and Dindo Pumaren head the ‘wishlist’ of University of the East for the head coaching position left vacant following the sacking of Boycie Zamar, according to school insider.

The Pumarens are high on the list of coaches being considered by the school to take over the reins following the shock departure of Zamar, who was given the pink slip as Red Warriors head coach.

Former Letran coach Louie Alas, former UE coach Lawrence Chongson, and even Red Warriors legend Robert Jaworski have also been mentioned in the coaching hunt by the school.

Derrick Pumaren, however, looms as a strong candidate mainly because of his vast coaching experience as well as his previous ties with the school, member of the Red Warriors in the early 1970s.

“Gusto nila ng alumnus,” said the source who refused to be named.

A veteran coach who has won championships in the PBA and the old PBL, Derrick was a consultant when younger brother Dindo called the shots for UE from 2003 to 2008.

Dindo also became the head coach of La Salle when another brother, Franz, resigned after the 2009 season to run for a congressional seat in Quezon City.

The Pumaren brothers, sons of former UE player and coach Pilo, were last spotted during last year’s Fiba-Asia Championship where they were consultant of the Hong Kong national team.

While he is on the list, Jaworski is unlikely to be interested. Incidentally, the ‘Big J’ is being eyed by the school as the basketball commissioner for Season 77.

Follow the writer on Twitter: @reubensports

red_engr

Back to top Go down

Post by red_engr on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:18 pm

UE alumnus Derrick Pumaren has inside track on Red Warriors coaching job

Snow Badua
03-30-14 06:56 pm

SINCE Spin.ph broke the news that Boycie Zamar has been axed as coach of the University of the East, the question running in the minds of most UAAP watchers is, ‘Who will replace him?’

Well, it looks like Derrick Pumaren has the inside track on the Red Warriors job.

By a mere process of deduction, the source said the veteran Pumaren already stands out from among those in the UE wishlist that also includes brother Dindo, Louie Alas, Robert Sison, Lawrence Chongson, and even UE greats Jimmy Mariano and Robert Jaworski.

In explaining the decision to part with Zamar, UE officials said they want a coach who can give the job his full, undivided attention - something Zamar apparently couldn't commit since he also has commitments as coach of Cebuana Lhuilier in the D-League and an assistant at San Miguel Beer in the PBA.

Another source bared that school officials prefer to name an alumnus to the job.

Now let’s begin trimming down the list.

Multi-titled NCAA coach Alas is a former Adamson Falcons star, Sison is a graduate of San Beda while UE former coaches Dindo Pumaren and Chongson are from La Salle.

This leaves Mariano and Derrick Pumaren as the sole options.

However, Mariano has already told Spin.ph that he is no longer interested in the job which he prefers to leave to young coaches, though he is open to accepting a consultant’s role.

That leaves out Derrick Pumaren, who, like father Pilo, played for the Red Warriors in college before winning championships as a coach with La Salle in the UAAP and with Swift in the PBA.

Except for a few consultant roles, Derrick is also unattached with any team at the moment.

“Reading between the lines, sa mga sinasabing qualifications ng UE, mukhang si Derrick na nga 'yan. Derrick can give them full commitment,” said a source.

UE management headed by executive vice president Carmelita Mateo is set to name the new UE head coach on April 1.

red_engr

Back to top Go down

Post by red_engr on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:19 pm

Alas says he is 'available and interested' to coach UE Red Warriors in UAAP

Mei-Lin Lozada
03-31-14 11:00 am

LOUIE Alas has declared himself ready after a one-year head coaching sabbatical, saying that he is available and interested to take the vacant job at University of the East in the UAAP.

An unimpeachable source confirmed to Spin.ph that as of posting time Alas was with Mike Tan, the eldest son of business tycoon Lucio Tan , the top backer of the Red Warriors , and UE assistant team manager Matthew Manotoc.

UE management is now looking for a replacement after Boycie Zamar was fired as Red Warriors head coach.

Alas said there had been several offers for him to coach since last year but he refused to speak about it during that time.

"May tumawag sa akin from UE," he said. "And last year may offer pa akong iba pero 'di ako nagpa-interview kasi wala pang one year."

"Pero ngayon na tapos na ang one year, I'm available and I'm interested in (the offer of) UE."

The Letran teams under Alas won three NCAA championships, made five Finals appearances and reached the Final Four 10 times.

Aside from Alas, brothers Dindo and Derrick Pumaren are also being considered for the job, as well as former coach Lawrence Chongson and PBA legend Robert Jaworski.

The 49-year old mentor is currently in Alaska as assistant coach to Luigi Trillo in the PBA.

red_engr

Back to top Go down

Post by red_engr on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:58 pm

Sacked coach Zamar says he harbors no ill feelings toward UE
• March 31, 2014, 02:45 pm

FORMER University of the East coach Boycie Zamar says he harbors no ill feelings towards his alma mater after he was shockingly relieved of his duties last week.
Breaking his silence following his firing as UE head coach, Zamar told mediamen on Monday that he is still very grateful to his alma mater despite what had recently transpired in entering for only his second full season with the Red Warriors.
“I will always be thankful and grateful sa UE,” said Zamar after the Cebuana Lhuillier squad that he is also coaching won in the PBA D-League Foundation Cup on Monday. “I’ll always be a true-blooded Warrior.”
Incidentally, UE pointed to his other commitments outside the school — including that at Cebuana Lhuillier in the PBA Developmental League — as the reason for his ejection as Red Warriors head coach.
In its official statement, UE said the Red Warriors needed a full-time head coach that will handle the squad for UAAP Season 77, which the school will also host.
Zamar is one of the assistant coaches of the San Miguel Beermen in the PBA and also had the same position with Barangay Ginebra in the Philippine Cup.
He was hired by UE in the middle of the 2012 season to replace Jerry Codinera.
Sources also told Spin.ph that Zamar’s commitments with the Beermen, one of the three PBA ballclubs of the San Miguel Corporation, was the reason for his dismissal as head coach, more so since UE is being bankrolled by Asia Brewery, a competitor of SMC.
Zamar refused to comment further, only mentioning the good memories he had with the school being one of the members of the last UE championship teams in the 1984 and 1985 season.
“As a good soldier, I will abide by kung ano ’yung desisyon. I will always be grateful to UE. Alam mo naman, pusong Warrior tayo... ’Yun lang ang sa akin. Be thankful and grateful bilang nagsilbi ako at nagkaroon ako ng tour of duty sa UE. I’ll forever be grateful to that,” Zamar added.
“Mahirap mag-comment. Doon lang ako sa sinabi ko. For me, I’ll be thankful for that opportunity. ’Yung naabot ko ngayon, dahil sa UE,” Zamar said.
Zamar said he is still willing to coach UE someday if called upon again.
“Gusto ko lang din mag-cool down everything. Pero sabi ko nga, anytime I’m here for a call of duty lalo na’t I’m an alumnus,” said Zamar, who was actually in his second stint with UE as head coach before he was relieved.
“I don’t burn bridges. I’m a coach and I’ll have to be an example sa mga bata. Burning bridges is not the solution,” he added.
Zamar also encouraged his former players to still fight for the school despite his departure.
“To fight for UE and for the school. Hindi naman tayo nagsasabi sa mga players na lumipat sila because it’s unfair. At the end of the day, it’s the university that counts. It’s the interest of the school,” said Zamar.

red_engr

Back to top Go down

Post by red_engr on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:44 am

Choice for next UE coach down to Louie Alas and Dindo Pumaren, says source

April 1, 2014, 07:33 pm

Share it!

Choice for next UE coach down to Louie Alas and Dindo Pumaren, says source
Louie Alas, right, coached Letran for more than a decade in the NCAA while Dindo Pumaren handled the UE Red Warriors from 2003 to 2008. Jerome Ascano

THE choice for the next University of the East coach is down to former Letran mentor Louie Alas and one-time Red Warriors coach Dindo Pumaren.

A highly-reliable source relayed to Spin.ph on Tuesday that Alas and Pumaren are the only ones being considered to take over the job left vacant after the sacking of Boycie Zamar.

“It looks like it’s one of those two,” said the source who refused to be named as he is not authorized to talk about the sensitive matter.

The development ruled out Dindo’s brother Derrick Pumaren from the job.

Initially, the elder Pumaren appeared to be the perfect choice to become Zamar’s successor following an earlier official statement made by the school that it is looking for an alumnus to take on the job.

“We didn’t hear his name,” said the source, when asked why the elder Pumaren, a former Red Warrior, was no longer being considered for the job.

Another source told Spin.ph that Alas is set to meet with UE officials led by executive vice president Carmelita Mateo within the week regarding the coaching position.

Alas handled Letran for more than a decade in the NCAA where he steered the Knights to three men’s basketball championship before resigning from his post in 2012.

He also steered the national team to the 1999 Southeast Asian Games gold medal in Brunei.

Pumaren, for his part, handled the Red Warriors from 2003 to 2008 and led the team to a 14-0 romp during the UAAP men’s basketball eliminations in 2007 only to be swept in the title series by De La Salle.

red_engr

Back to top Go down

Post by waddaphak on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:06 pm

siguro mas okay na nga talga if Coach Louie Alas nalang.. parang meron pa ren issue (14-0 then lost to DLSU sa finals then eventually naging coach xa bigla after ng ilang season) kung si Dindo Pumaren e.. Smile

waddaphak

Back to top Go down

Post by syadaker on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Louie Alas in the mix to fill UE Red Warriors head coach vacancy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Louie Alas might find himself back on the collegiate sidelines next season.
A source told Yahoo Philippines Wednesday night that Alas, 48, has already “agreed in principle” to call the shots for University of the East men’s basketball team, replacing Boycie Zamar who was sacked last week.
The source, who is privy to the development but spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that Alas recently met with Michael Tan, son of business magnate and top Red Warriors supporter Lucio Tan, along with Tommy Manotoc, a former pro league champion coach who is “working behind the scenes,” about the coaching vacancy which the former Letran Knights readily accepted.
However, there are reports within the UE community that the decision to choose Alas left a group of “academicians” reluctant. The group intends to stick with the management’s stand of hiring “someone who will handle the team full-time, one without commitments to other teams.”
Alas is currently serving as one of the assistant coaches of the Alaska Aces in the pro ranks.
Zamar, 48, was reportedly given the pink slip due to his other commitments as an assistant coach with San Miguel Beer in the pro ranks and as the head coach of Cebuana Lhuillier in the PBA Developmental League.
“Okay na si coach Louie na hawakan ‘yung team. But ‘yung mga academicians kinokontra kasi si coach Louie may trabaho rin sa Alaska. Pero kung si Mike Tan ang masusunod, siya (Alas) na ang talagang magiging coach,” the insider said.
Reached by Yahoo Philippines after the Aces win over the Barako Bull Energy 78-71,  Alas confirmed he indeed sat down with Tan and Manotoc.
“Yes, we talked recently. I told them I’m interested and available for the (UE coaching post). But the final decision will be up to the (UE’s) search committee and Board of Directors,” he said.    
If he would eventually gain the nod, Alas will have to deal with a challenging job of reliving the glory days of the once fabled Red Warriors squad, which is experiencing a near three-decade drought in the UAAP since a team bannered by pro league greats Allan Caidic and Jerry Codinera helped UE reach the Promised Land from 1984 and 1985.
But winning in the collegiate ranks, as well as in other leagues, has been a trademark for Alas.
When he assumed the coaching reins for the Knights, Alas helped them claim three NCAA titles, make five Finals appearances and reach the Final Four 10 times. He, however, left his post after getting swept in two games by San Beda in their titular showdown in 2012.

Alas also steered to championships the Philippine Patriots in the Asean Basketball League  in 2010, the Manila Metrostars in the defunct Metropolitan Basketball Association  in 1999 and the national team in the 1999 Southeast Asian Games.

syadaker

Back to top Go down

Post by syadaker on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Alas ‘agrees in principle’ to coach UE

By Jerome Lagunzad | April 03, 2014

DESPITE reservations from some school officials, multi-titled collegiate coach Louie Alas is set to take over as the new coach of the University of the East Red Warriors, replacing Boycie Zamar who was given the pink slip last week.

A reliable insider yesterday told Malaya-Business Insight that Alas, 49, sat down with Tommy Manotoc and Michael Tan, son of business tycoon and chief Red Warriors bankroller Lucio Tan, last Monday and the former Letran Knights tactician readily “agreed in principle” to help the Red Warriors relive their glory days in the UAAP.

Manotoc, a former champion coach in the pro league who is currently the president of the golf association, has been working behind the scenes with Tan in the Red Warriors’ search for a new coach.

The decision to hire Alas reportedly didn’t sit well with a group of “academicians” from UE who want to stick to management’s stand of hiring “someone who will handle the team full-time, one without commitments to other teams.”

Alas is currently one of the assistant coaches of the Alaska Aces in the pro ranks. Zamar was reportedly sacked last Friday because he is also an assistant with San Miguel Beer in the PBA and also handles the Lhuillier squad in the PBA D-League.

“Okay na si coach Louie na hawakan ‘yung team. But ‘yung mga academicians kinokontra kasi si coach Louie may trabaho rin sa Alaska. Pero kung si Mike Tan ang masusunod, siya (Alas) na ang talagang magiging coach,” the insider said.

Several cage personalities, including cage legend Robert Jaworski Sr. and Jimmy Mariano, who both played for UE in their collegiate days, were bruited about as possible replacements for Zamar less than four months before UE hosts season 77 of the UAAP.

Alas was reportedly also in the list but this was denied by incoming UAAP secretary-treasurer and UE Physical Education director Rod Roque in an earlier interview.

“Coach Louie has commitments with Alaska so I think he is not a candidate. The management let go of coach Boycie since they wanted someone who will handle the team on a full-time basis,” he said then.

Alas faces a gargantuan, the Red Warriors having failed to win the crown since a team led by Allan Caidic, Jerry Codinera and Zamar won back-to-back titles in 1984 and 1985.

Alas, however, is coming in with a glittering resume.

He steered the Knights to three NCAA titles in five finals appearances and the Final Four 10 times 10 times before stepping down in 2012 after Letran was swept in two games by archrival San Beda in their titular showdown.

Alas also bagged titles with the Philippine Patriots in the Asean Basketball League  in 2010, the Manila Metrostars in the defunct Metropolitan Basketball Association  in 1999 and the national team in the 1999 Southeast Asian Games.

syadaker

Back to top Go down

Post by icemint on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:02 am

The UEnovela still lives on..

Red Warriors remain in limbo as UE officials 'torn between head-coach candidates'

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

THE search for a new University of the East head coach could take longer than initially anticipated as the school's management remains torn between candidates.

UE officials said they will name a new coach this week after announcing the departure of former Red Warriors coach Boycie Zamar, but the process is taking longer than usual because members of the management team are split on their choices, a source said.

In a statement, UE said it is in search of a coach who can work full time for the Red Warriors - something which Zamar had not been able to commit to the school.

“The school wants someone full time but part of management wants someone who isn’t full time,” said the person with knowledge of the situation but spoke on condition of anonymity.

The source didn’t state who are on the short list but Spin.ph has reported, based on information from informed sources, that Louie Alas and Dindo Pumaren are the only ones being considered for the vacant position.

Incidentally, Alas, a former head coach of the Letran Knights in the NCAA, also holds a position as assistant coach of Alaska. Pumaren, on the other hand, doesn’t have any coaching job at the moment.

“The last time I heard, we are in limbo,” the person added.

Alas had a meeting last week with Mike Tan to discuss the vacant coaching job. Tan, son of UE owner Lucio Tan who is also the head of Asia Brewery, is said to be working “behind the scenes” in helping the UE Red Warriors basketball team.

Pumaren had previously coached UE from 2003 to 2008. Interestingly, the Red Warriors’ team manager during that time was the school’s executive vice president Carmelita Mateo, who is making a return to the same role in Season 77 replacing Jesus Tanchanco.

Pumaren is also the son of former UE player and coach Pilo and brother of Derrick, who was also considered for the vacant head coaching position.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

icemint
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icemint on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:08 am

Ok na sana si Alas, sa stint nya sa Letran Knights kita na may prinsipyo sya at he stands by his team.

Hindi sya napagdudahan na nagbenta ng laro.

Magbago lang sana isip nya about sa imports.

Yun lang pag si Alas pinili nila, babalik sa management ang ginawa nila kay Coach Zamar.

Tinanggal nila kasi may commitment sa ibang teams. Pero ang ipapalit din nila eh e may commitment din pala!!! Susmiyo!!!!

----------------

Pag si Dindo naman, questionable na ang loyalty nya eh.

Pero sigurado may "angst" yan sa DLSU ngayon dahil sa ginawa sa kanya ng DLSU Community.

Baka may bad blood na sya sa DLSU and he is raring to get back at them to show his worth.

Back with a vengeance kumbaga.

Baka gusto na nyan bumawi sa DLSU at gigil na gigil gumanti. hehe

icemint
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by red_engr on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Derrick Pumaren officially takes over as head coach of UE Red Warriors

April 10, 2014, 12:00 pm

Derrick Pumaren officially takes over as head coach of UE Red Warriors
University of the East management described Derrick Pumaren as a "true Red Warrior." Jerome Ascano

DERRICK Pumaren officially took over as head coach of the University of the East Red Warriors on Thursday and has started his search for members of his coaching staff.

Pumaren’s younger brother Dindo, head tactician of the Warriors from 2003 to 2008, will be his top lieutenant but the two are now looking for more assistant coaches to join the rejigged staff.

Spin.ph earlier reported that Derrick Pumaren was the most logical choice for UE, given that he is an alumnus and can work full-time - conditions the school laid out after announcing the firing of Boycie Zamar.

However, the search became complicated when some backers of the team from Lucio Tan's family pushed for other options who may not necessarily work fulltime for the position, sources said.

Consequently, the scheduled announcement of the new coach was delayed by a week.

Former Letran coach Louie Alas was also considered for the post but he is also a concurrent assistant coach of Alaska in the PBA. He was also interviewed for the job by Mike Tan, son of the school owner.

Alas, who won NCAA titles for Letran, also expressed interest in the job.

But in the end, the school went with Derrick Pumaren, a veteran coach who has won two championships in the PBA with Swift and who UE officials described as a "true Red Warrior."

A former member of the UE Pages champion team, Pumaren, son of UE great Pilo and older brother of Air21 coach Franz, also played two years with the Red Warriors.

He is known in basketball circles as 'Manong' Derrick, since he was the eldest among the Pumaren brothers.

However, Derrick has not held a coaching position since his last PBA post with Talk 'N Text in 2008, settling mostly for consultancy jobs.

red_engr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum