View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2012-2013 Off-Season Updates

Post by Anonymous_Red on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:40 am

TALO

Anonymous_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by kielbasa on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:06 am

First off, we in the University of the East community and the UE Red Warriors-Men’s Basketball Team would like to thank you for giving us the honor and privilege of participating in the recently concluded 17th Sandugo University Games. It has been a long while since UE’s men’s basketball team had played in the annual Unigames, and this tournament proved to be very good for our players and, we would like to believe, for the latest Unigames men’s basketball tournament as well.

We thank you for the opportunity not just for our unseeded team to compete with six of the strongest teams in collegiate basketball but also for us to ably demonstrate the Warrior spirit of sportsmanship, dedication and tenacity―as witness our team’s consistent and committed playing for a grueling but eventful six straight games in as many consecutive days. All of the time, energy and effort expended by all of us in the UE Red Warriors were very well worth it, and we will treasure all of our experiences during this tournament, thanks to you who are the tireless organizers of the Unigames, as well as the games’ sponsors and the people of Bacolod in general.

That said, it is with much regret that we had to leave the Unigames sooner than anticipated―last Saturday night, October 27, and thus miss on our shot at the finals the next day. This is due to our earlier commitment to the Asian University Basketball Federation (AUBF) to represent not just UE but the entire country in the Asia-wide AUBF tournament this end of October up to early November in Taipei. We are also representing the Philippines and Southeast Asia in the AUBF this week in the wake of the UE Red Warriors’ winning of the championship at last September’s Southeast Asian leg of the ongoing 9th AUBF tournament.

We had absolutely no intention of letting anyone down, least of all you and your colleagues in the Unigames organizing committee, the National University Bulldogs and the other participating teams, as well as the basketball fans of Bacolod who were fervent in their viewing and cheering during all of the games, be it featuring the Red Warriors or not. So we did all that we could to work out a solution to the scheduling conflict and potentially play out our hard-earned shot at the Unigames crown. We were likewise more than willing to pay for the possible penalties to be incurred with the airlines involved in rebooking our flights to Taipei and the possibility of flying out from Bacolod or Iloilo instead of Manila, but such options were simply unavailable. There were also no available seats among listed flights to Taipei this past weekend.

Moreover, we also made several attempts to reach out to the Unigames officials in the hopes of reaching a cordial agreement on this scheduling matter but we were unable to connect with anyone among the organizers, who were presumably busy overseeing the orderly conduct of the remainder of the tournament.

We in the UE community and the Red Warriors team have long had a high regard for the Unigames, as witness UE’s participation in its various tournaments through the years. Yet we also did not anticipate the overlapping of schedules of the Unigames and the AUBF this weekend. That said, we had to make the difficult decision of forfeiting our chances at a Unigames title in favor of proverbially carrying the Philippine flag as we compete against the respective national teams of China, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong, Japan, Mongolia and South Korea this week. We apologize for this inadvertent turn of events to you and to everyone who may have felt let down in the process.

We certainly have no desire to contest the decision made by the good people of the 17th Sandugo University Games with regard to our participation throughout last week. We do wish that, this episode notwithstanding, the UE Red Warriors would be given the honor and privilege of participating in future Unigames basketball tournaments―for we shall always remain ardent aficionados and disciples of college basketball.

kielbasa

Back to top Go down

Post by stump_ on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:54 am

Who is Desmond Beristain? Here's a little history:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Beristain Opts for Post-graduate School

PRLog (Press Release) - Nov 25, 2009 -
Los Angeles, California - Desmond Beristain, a scholar and former point guard at Birmingham High School in Los Angeles, California, opts for post-graduate school at New Hampton over college. He intends to use his stay at New Hampton as a catapult to a prestigious college with a highly coveted athletic program. Beristain is following the paths of former New Hampton basketball players like Rashad McCants and Darius Songaila, both of whom would end up playing in the National Basketball Association after stints at the University of North Carolina and Wake Forest respectively. Beristain is a 6-foot point guard who thrives on playing defense—a trait not common among young players mesmerized by the glory of scoring. Defense, rebounding, taking charges, and the other intangibles not recorded on a statistics sheet are what fuel Beristain.

“After talking to experienced players and coaches, the one thing they told me to focus on was doing the other things necessary for my team besides scoring,” says Beristain. “Things like playing tough defense and working on my strength will help prepare me for the more physical college game.”

In addition to basketball, Beristain boasted a 3.7 GPA while at Birmingham High School. He hopes his academic performance will attract attention from the colleges he plans to apply—Harvard, University of Chicago, UC San Diego, and others. New Hampton is also a boarding school, which allows Beristain to live on campus with a roommate, giving him the opportunity to experience independence. According to 2008 data presented by the National Report Card on Higher Education, 50% of college students in the United States do not finish a bachelor’s degree within six years, debunking the notion of a four-year degree. Post-graduate school can help students acquire the academic tools and maximize their maturation to curb these statistics.

For a basketball demo of Beristain, visit: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Whoever recruited this guy, a tip of the hat for you. Sounds like a decent recruit to me.

stump_

Back to top Go down

Post by icemint on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:29 pm

Kielbasa thanks for posting.

Kaw rin ba si hydrangea ng PEX?

icemint
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icemint on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:38 pm

stump_ wrote:Who is Desmond Beristain? Here's a little history:

Beristain Opts for Post-graduate School

PRLog (Press Release) - Nov 25, 2009 -
Los Angeles, California - Desmond Beristain, a scholar and former point guard at Birmingham High School in Los Angeles, California, opts for post-graduate school at New Hampton over college. He intends to use his stay at New Hampton as a catapult to a prestigious college with a highly coveted athletic program. Beristain is following the paths of former New Hampton basketball players like Rashad McCants and Darius Songaila, both of whom would end up playing in the National Basketball Association after stints at the University of North Carolina and Wake Forest respectively. Beristain is a 6-foot point guard who thrives on playing defense—a trait not common among young players mesmerized by the glory of scoring. Defense, rebounding, taking charges, and the other intangibles not recorded on a statistics sheet are what fuel Beristain.

“After talking to experienced players and coaches, the one thing they told me to focus on was doing the other things necessary for my team besides scoring,” says Beristain. “Things like playing tough defense and working on my strength will help prepare me for the more physical college game.”

In addition to basketball, Beristain boasted a 3.7 GPA while at Birmingham High School. He hopes his academic performance will attract attention from the colleges he plans to apply—Harvard, University of Chicago, UC San Diego, and others. New Hampton is also a boarding school, which allows Beristain to live on campus with a roommate, giving him the opportunity to experience independence. According to 2008 data presented by the National Report Card on Higher Education, 50% of college students in the United States do not finish a bachelor’s degree within six years, debunking the notion of a four-year degree. Post-graduate school can help students acquire the academic tools and maximize their maturation to curb these statistics.

For a basketball demo of Beristain, visit: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Whoever recruited this guy, a tip of the hat for you. Sounds like a decent recruit to me.

Nice read stump. Kaya pala nung napanood ko sya sa fr. martin's di sya masyado umiiskor.

icemint
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymous_Red on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:25 pm

2012 Philippine
Collegiate Champions
League (PCCL) Metro
Manila Qualifiers: JRU vs.
UE on Nov. 8, Thurs at 4
p.m. on Studio 23.

Anonymous_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymous_Red on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:30 pm

ongoing Philippines (UE) vs KOREA
(Kyonghee University). David vs Goliath.

Anonymous_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymous_Red on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:33 pm

Mario Bonleon is practicing with Woodward. Lets wait this summer if he's really will play with us.

Anonymous_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by stump_ on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Anonymous_Red wrote:Mario Bonleon is practicing with Woodward. Lets wait this summer if he's really will play with us.

"LIKE" Basketball

stump_

Back to top Go down

Post by kielbasa on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:25 pm

icemint wrote:Kielbasa thanks for posting.

Kaw rin ba si hydrangea ng PEX?

ako nga. Very Happy

kielbasa

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymous_Red on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:37 pm

2012 Asian University Men’s
Basketball
Championship schedule
Preliminary round Oct. 30
15:00 Mongolia vs. Hong Kong
17:00 China vs. Korea
18:50 Opening ceremony
19:30 Taiwan vs. Philippines
Oct. 31 15:00 Mongolia vs. China
17:00 Philippines vs. Korea
19:00 Taiwan vs. Hong Kong
Nov. 1
15:00 Philippines vs. Mongolia
17:00 China vs. Hong Kong 19:00 Korea vs. Taiwan
Nov. 2
15:00 Hong Kong vs. Philippines
17:00 Mongolia vs. Korea
19:00 Taiwan vs. China
Nov. 3 14:00 Korea vs. Hong Kong
16:00 China vs. Philippines
18:00 Taiwan vs. Mongolia Playoffs Nov. 4
14:00 5/6 classification game
16:00 Bronze medal game
18:00 Championship game
Closing ceremony All games played at Sinjhuang Stadium, New Taipei City, Taiwan

Anonymous_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymous_Red on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:45 pm

Chinese Taipei 85 - Phil (UE) 69
South Korea (Kyonghee U) ? - Phil (UE) ?

Hehe secret. ;p

Anonymous_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by adrianrei on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:47 pm

sir any link kung san may updates ng result?

adrianrei

Back to top Go down

Post by stump_ on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:16 am

South Korea 101, Philippines 52

stump_

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymous_Red on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:30 am

^^Unigames' definitely laughing that scores. Tsk LOL

Anonymous_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymous_Red on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:25 am

UniGames officials eyeing sanctions vs. UE A year of suspension for the University of the East or a life- time ban for its basketball team are among the sanctions being considered by the University Games officials after the Red Warriors forfeited the championship game against National University at the St. La Salle Coliseum in Bacolod City. UniGames president Roger Banzuela said what UE did was not only a disrespect to the tournament but also to the people of Bacolod City who packed the different venues, especially the basketball gyms, during the weeklong competition. While they are still waiting for a letter of apology from UE, he said the Board of Directors of the UniGames will meet to decide on what sanction to impose against UE. “Definitely there will be a sanction. Either the entire school will be suspended for a year from participating in the UniGames, or a lifetime ban on its basketball team,” Banzuela said. After defeating the Ateneo De Manila University, 68-65, in the semifinals, UE team officials informed the organizers that they will not be able to play in the championship the next day as they have to leave Bacolod City to play in another tournament in Taiwan. “Apparently, they (UE) they were not expecting to make it to the finals. But they should have informed us earlier and not a day before the championship match. They should not have played in the semifinals,” Banzuela said. All throughout the tournament, he said UE did not inform the organizers of their commitment in Taiwan, the UniGames president said, adding that some adjustments could have been made if only the Red Warriors notified them about their plans. Instead of the scheduled final game, NU Bulldogs played an exhibition game against the University of Sto. Tomas Growling Tigers, who were eliminated in the quarterfinals by the Ateneo. The organizers also stripped UE of any medal in men’s basketball and instead awarded the silver to Ateneo after the team beat Adamson in the battle for third place. Adamson was declared bronze medalist. “It was a big gesture on the part of UST so as not to disappoint the crowd. We doff our hats to the entire Tigers team for trying to save the situation,” Banzuela said. Aside from the possible gold or silver in men’s basketball, UE also won the gold in women’s badminton after prevailing over host USLS in the finals. He said the staging of the 17th Sandugo University Games in Bacolod City drew the biggest crowd in the history of the tournament. In addition to the favorable feedback they received, he said athletes and coaches from the different delegations asked the organizers to hold the games again in Bacolod City next year.

Anonymous_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymous_Red on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:37 am

old news worth re-reading

The end of the road came for
the reigning Cebu Schools
Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi)
champions, Southwestern
University Cobras yesterday
after they lost to the University of the East Red Warriors, 75-79,
in the quarterfinals of the men’s
basketball competition of the
17th Sandugo-University Games
in Bacolod City. The Cobras of head coach, Raul
“Yayoy” Alcoseba had difficulty
containing spitfire guard Roi
Sumang who led the Red
Warriors with 12 points. He also
had ample support from JR Sumido and Cameroonian import
JM Arafat who each had 11
points while JM Noble added 10. SWU’s own Cameroonian player,
Justin Aboude led the Cobras
with 21 points but it was not
enough as his compatriot, Ben
Mbala, managed just seven
markers. Cesafi Mythical Five guard Monbert Arong had 17
while Joseph Nalos and Melvin
Goloran added 12 and 10 points,
respectively.

Anonymous_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymous_Red on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:51 am

I looked saintly before–
Tubid By Beth Celis 1:05 am | Wednesday, October 24th, 2012 IT TOOK me three days to reach
Ronald Tubid through a
telephone number that is still
active. I needed to talk to the Barako
Bull cager because I wanted to
ask him about his connection to
Saint Pedro Calungsod. To start with, I could not figure
out why Ronald was chosen to
represent the image of the
Filipino martyr, when no one has
the remotest idea how the saint
looked. Ronald himself told me, when I
finally got to talk to him, that
the recently canonized saint
lived and died centuries ago. * * * “I’ll tell you the whole story. This
is what happened,” Ronald
started, when I posed the query. “Many years ago when I was
only 17 and still playing for the
University of the East Warriors in
the UAAP, Archbishop Jaime
Cardinal Sin commissioned Father
Catalino Alvarez, a Jesuit priest from Ateneo, to produce a
booklet on the life of Pedro
Calungsod, whose exact origin
could not be traced. Some people
claimed he was born in Cebu;
others said he was from Bacolod. “Many places are claiming to be
the hometown of Blessed (Saint)
Calungsod and one of them is my
own birthplace, Iloilo, where you
will find many people surnamed
Calungsod. It’s not farfetched that he really came from our
province,” Ronald said. * * * Fr. Arevalo didn’t have much
difficulty finishing the manuscript
of the booklet, but he needed a
photo or illustration of the
subject. That was a problem. Nobody
knew how the Filipino martyr
looked, and neither could anyone
trace a single living relative. Assistance from God was his only
recourse. He prayed and prayed
hard, invoking the guidance of
the Holy Spirit. * * * As it turned out, Fr. Arevalo was
a basketball fan. In all probability,
he was watching a UE-Ateneo
game on television when Ronald
caught his eye. As the camera took a close-up
shot of Tubid, Fr. Arevalo leaned
closer toward the TV set to get a better look. Suddenly he
felt the nudge he was waiting
for. He also heard a soft voice
whisper in his ear: “That’s the
face you’re looking for!” Fr. Arevalo wasted no time. He
immediately got in touch with no
less than the UE president who
led him to Ronald. “At that time I was really very
religious,” said Ronald. “I
attended Mass every Sunday. I
was an altar boy, I was a
member of various catholic
organizations. In other words, I was worthy to represent
Blessed (Saint) Pedro Calungsod.” That’s how Ronald’s face,
described as saintly (maamo) got
into the Calungsod booklet and
his icons. “Mabait talaga ako noon (I was
fine young man then), but that
was 14 years ago. Now I’m 31.
Mabait pa din naman although I
now play a rugged and physical
game.” “And if I looked like a saint
before, you should see me now
with my red hair and all these
tattoos in my body.”

Anonymous_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymous_Red on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:49 am

Mongolia 90 Philippines
MGL: Sanchir Tungalag
24pts, 7reb, 5ast.

Anonymous_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by adrianrei on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:16 pm

livestream vs hongkong

adrianrei

Back to top Go down

Post by adrianrei on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:43 pm

88-93, UE

adrianrei

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost09 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:11 pm

adrianrei wrote:livestream vs hongkong

1st win ng UE sa tourney?

ghost09

Back to top Go down

Post by adrianrei on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:55 am

ghost09 wrote:
adrianrei wrote:livestream vs hongkong

1st win ng UE sa tourney?

yes 1-3 standing nila..

adrianrei

Back to top Go down

Post by icemint on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:02 am

Welcome hydrangea hehe..keep posting!

Pwede bang mapanood yung replay dyan sa youtube?

Sayang din yung laban natin sa Unigames, baka tayo pag nagchampion dun hehe.

Anyway ok din namang training sa team yang AUBC, para malaman nila paano maglaro ng walang import.

icemint
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stump_ on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:37 pm

ang tentative ng warriors at some points in the whole game. di ko alam kung nagkakapaan o nahihiya. pero maganda padin at may win na.

@icemint, panoorin mo na yung sa youtube, pwede yan Smile

stump_

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top